Figure Conversion - Knightmare

AKA 'Project "I don't know what I'm doing" 2'.
knightmare 11 Knightmare model 02  Project: "I dont' know what I'm doing. 2" Materials: Decopatch extra small 'unicorn' blank figure, strong wire, glue gun, Kneadatite, Paperclay, Silk Clay (though not at this photo's stage yet)  Project link:  "The Daemonslayers"  Character:  knightmare   Using more Paperclay: built up the mane some more, further work on wing structure, tail and added some spikes.  In hindsight I should have used Silk Clay for the spines - it is slightly more flexible once dried so less likely to break off should anything untoward occur. In the background there is a Papo horse I was using for reference.  Originally I was going to try and do a figure conversion using him but I didn't think my skill level was really up to it, hence the use of the far more basic, less detailed Decopatch blank. : knightmare, daemonslayers, model, modelling, sculpture, clay, paperclay, silk clay, 3d, oc, original character, dire unicorn, unicorn, alicorn, unidragon, horse, creature, progress image Knightmare Model 01  Project: "I dont' know what I'm doing. 2" Materials: Decopatch extra small 'unicorn' blank figure, strong wire, glue gun, Kneadatite, Paperclay, Silk Clay (though not at this photo's stage yet)  Project link:  "The Daemonslayers"  Character:  knightmare   I had rather a lot of fun with this. Started with a 'extra small' size Decopatch unicorn blank figure.  Pierced through with some thick wire to make the wing base structure, same for the tail. Built up the form with more wire on the wings and lots of hot glue using my trusty glue gun.  I ought to have taken some photos at that stage but didn't think to. Once that was all dried I made the wing membranes out of Kneadatite (Green stuff, to modellers). There's probably better substances to make membranes out of - really I was making this up as I went along.  At this stage, where I finally remembered to start taking photos, I've started using 'Paperclay' which is an air-drying clay to start making Knightmare look like himself. I've never used it before but it was mess-free and reasonably easy to handle.  So built up the wing structure with it, filled out his tail, tried to add some definition to his legs and started on his mane. : knightmare, daemonslayers, model, modelling, sculpture, clay, paperclay, silk clay, 3d, oc, original character, dire unicorn, unicorn, alicorn, unidragon, horse, creature, progress image knightmare 00  Project: "I dont' know what I'm doing. 2" Materials: Decopatch extra small 'unicorn' blank figure, strong wire, glue gun, Kneadatite, Paperclay, Silk Clay. Project link:  "The Daemonslayers"  Character:  knightmare   More detail with the Paperclay - here I've started to add some definition to the blank's featureless, somewhat misshapen head.  Something that really bugs me is the horn - it's too chunky but under the paper is a plastic core and I was reluctant to try and whittle it down with a knife when the idea finally occurred to me that I could as the wings and tail were already on and I didn't want to risk breaking them if I got a bit cackhanded about it. The blue stuff forming his armour plating is silk clay.  It's really aimed at children but is easy and convenient to use, takes paint ok and in future I think I'll use it for horns and spikes and stuff because it's slightly supple when dried so less likely to snap off.  I couldn't find much online about the stuff on how it is long term, but I'm not exactly making gallery masterpieces here, am I?
knightmare 01  Lots more definition and detail.  He's got something approaching a face now! knightmare 02  Ready for painting! knightmare03 airbrush  Did a very rough basecoat in black acrylic, then in with the proper colours!  The airbrush is a glorious thing... knightmare 10  Over the airbrushing I used Citadel paints and washes for detail. And then, because I'm stupid and failed to remember a lesson I should have learned a few years ago, I sealed the model with PU Matt varnish.  Which despite being described as 'matt' goes shiny.  Aw, bloody hell.  Given I didn't exactly do a separation layer there's probably nothing I can do to fix that so have accepted Knightmare's a lot shinier than he should be. A lot. Maybe I can tell myself he's just flown in out of the rain or something.
knightmare05 knightmare06 knightmare 04 knightmare 07
knightmare 08 knightmare 09 knightmare 12